Hotel: The Roosevelt Hotel

Distance from JFK Intl. Airport: 14.1 miles ($65 taxi ride, $75 private car)


Length of stay: 4 Nights


Average nightly rate: $400 Avg/Night.



Manhattan is one of my favorite cities in the whole country, the city has an energy that can't be compared to any other city in the world. The smell of exhaust, cigarettes, trash and hot dog stands can be considered nasty by some but to me its pleasurable. I wont spend this week talking much about my hotel and flight but instead i'll share some unique places I found on this trip to Manhattan. Every time I get to repeat a city I try to find something different to do and to not repeat going to places I have already been to before. 

Transportation
I would like to share a tip about major cities when it comes to transportation. Since the taxi unions have forbidden Uber or joined Uber in cities like Manhattan and Vegas it has become expensive and a burden to catch a ride. The tip is to go on Google and search "Black Car Service NYC". If you call and simply ask most companies are willing to match the taxi rate, this gives you a private chauffeur that is already at the airport waiting for you outside of baggage claim. On top of that the cars are usually Escalades, GMC's, Lincoln Town Cars or some other type of black luxury vehicle. If you are going to pay the hefty price of $65 for a 14 mile drive you might as well do it in style. The car service I found is reliable and safe, if you are traveling to NYC and you would like to use them simply call (718)296-8500 and schedule your ride.
(Ride In To The City)
Food
New York City is one of those places where you can find any type of cuisine you are craving. I got to eat at several restaurants ranging from high end to street carts. I will be reviewing one high end restaurant that blew me away as well as a mid range dining establishment that was very unique and full of options. The second night of my stay I decided to tag along with my co workers to a reservation they had at Nobu. I had heard of Nobu in the past and I knew it had a good reputation world wide. Nobu has 22 locations worldwide practically in every continent. Nobu is an A La Carte restaurant, this means that you get what you order (no sides, no extras). Even though this isn't the place you go to get full it was some of the best tasting food I have ever eaten. We ordered Yellow Tail Jalapeno Sashimi as well a Salmon Roll, Shrimp Tempura Roll and Spicy Tuna Roll.
(Sashimi)
(Shrimp Tempura, Spicy Tuna, Salmon Rolls)
I'm not the biggest fan of raw fish but I had to try it after hearing all the hype. It was the most delicate, delicious piece of anything I had ever tasted. It literally melted in my mouth, on top of each piece was a jalapeno slice and some other herbs. Everything just complemented each other and it was an explosion of flavor. If you decide to go to any Nobu worldwide be prepared to spend some money, I would say at least $80-$100 per person. The cheapest bottle of wine on their list cost $65 and a craft cocktail ranges from $15-$20.

Next to my hotel was a one of a kind dining establishment unlike any other I have seen, it is called "Urban Space". It is basically an Urban food court, filled with various unique dining options. They have coffee stands, latin stands, asian stands, french stands, beer and wine stands, donut stands and so much more. During lunch hour during the week each stand had at least a 15 minute wait, it was a really cool experience.
I ate lunch at Urban Space 3 days in a row. The first day I got food from a taco stand, the chicken and steak tacos where really good but not as good as the food from "Hong Kong Street Cart". Traveling around the country I have developed a weird obsession with restaurants that serve Ramen. The main reason is because every restaurant adds their own touch to their ramen and it completely changes the flavor (I also love soup). Honk kong street cart seemed to be famous for their Ramen considering the huge line they had every day.
(Menu Options)
A bowl or Ramen was being sold for $15, it comes with broth, noodles, hard boiled eggs, herbs and a choice of bbq pork shoulder or chicken dumplings. The broth and a spicy chili sauce come on the side and you can add it the way you like it. After my first taste I was in love, it was so good I wanted to cry. I ate lunch here every day for the rest of my trip.
After my meal I had to get some dessert of course! there was a stand that baked fresh donuts, They had about 20 custom flavors like elderberry, dulce de leche and other random ones. I decided to take the classic route and go for the glazed and cinnamon sugar. The donuts where warm and soft to the touch and made a great dessert after eating that amazing Ramen.
You cant take a trip to NYC and not visit time square, I can sit in times square for hours an people watch and soak in the environment and not get bored.
(Also don't forget to eat a NYC hotdog)

One afternoon I took a walk uptown on Maddison street, i went to Rockefeller center and some other places and stumbled upon St Patricks Cathedral. This is where the Pope had visited about 4 weeks prior. I went inside and took a tour having no idea how beautiful it was. The architecture of these historic structures always amazes me.
Luckily for me I came in around 5pm, I over heard one of the tour guides mentioning there was a mass at 5:30. I decided to stick around, I sat down and reflected on my blessings and spent some time praying. The cathedral filled up almost %100 for the mass, it was a one of a kind experience. Sometimes we get comfortable in our every day lives and don't always realize all the blessings in front of our face. We should take time at least once a week to count our blessings and thank god for everything we have. 

If you are traveling to NYC or have any questions about travel in general feel free to message me through Google circles.

New york, Manhattan, Nobu, Times Square, JFK , American Airlines, sushi, Nobu 57,

Labels: ,

Post a Comment

Author Name

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by DNY59. Powered by Blogger.